Our main campuses are open for staff only. Take a look at our FAQs for more information.
Phone lines are open but we are experience a high volume of calls so there may be a delay. Alternatively you can contact us by email info@leicestercollege.ac.uk. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

All about apprenticeships

We are the largest apprenticeship training delivery organisation in Leicester, which helps apprentices to learn new skills and gain experience to succeed in their chosen career.

Apprenticeships are a perfect route if you want to lay the foundations for a rewarding career in a specific industry, or you are hoping to retrain in a new industry. If you are an employer looking to recruit an apprentice please take a look at our information for employers.

Our Apprenticeship Offer at Leicester College

Feel free to download our 2019 list.

So what is an apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a job with training. When you become an apprentice, you get a job (or continue the job you already have). You usually spend around 80% of your working time in this day-to-day role. The remaining 20% of the time you will be studying, often in college.

You get paid

As an apprentice, you’re doing a job, so you receive a wage. This includes the apprenticeship wage plus the national minimum wage, which is updated yearly.

Timescales: 12 to 48 months

The length of your apprenticeship will depend on the level and your area of employment. Apprenticeships leading to higher-level qualifications usually take longer.

Study format:

All apprenticeships involve the 80% of your time spent within your workplace. However, all apprenticeships support your training and development. How you do this might vary depending on your employer and type of apprenticeships. Here are some of the more common types of study format:

  • day release to attend college
  • block release at college
  • study time away from your day-to-day role within your workplace.

What type of apprenticeships are there?

Intermediate apprenticeship Level 2 – equal to five GCSEs at grade 4/C
Advanced apprenticeship Level 3 – equal to A-levels
Higher apprenticeship Level 4/5 – equal to an undergraduate level qualification
Degree  apprenticeship Level 6/7 – equal to a Bachelors or master’s degree

Search our apprenticeship vacancies

For more information please call Leicester College on 0116 224 2240, email us or have a look through our guide

Apprenticeships Guide

View Online Download