Notifying Absences to the College
Your attendance is important because it improves your learning experience, your grades, and your skills. Attendance is an essential part of your student experience when you can enhance your employment opportunities.
If you are unwell or unable to attend College you need to let us know. You can do this by using the ProPortal (https://proportal.lec.ac.uk/proportal) comments facility, or by calling our absence line on 0116 2242240 – Option 2.
It is important that you come to College regularly and are punctual – this helps to show that you are ready for work.
SMS and Email Alerts from the College
If you are absent from College and haven’t let us know, we will send you an SMS and email every time you miss a class or session. If you are aged 16 or 17 we will also send a text and email to your parent/carer, or other nominated contact.
What you should do if you get a text or email from us about absence
If you are absent you should:
- Let us know why you aren’t in College.
- Look at any resources relating to the lesson/session(s) you have missed (this might be on Moodle or MS Teams). Make some notes on anything you do not understand.
- Speak to someone that was in the lesson to get any clarity around the topics covered. If you are still unsure message your teacher via MS Teams or ProPortal.
Please ensure that the college holds the most up to date contact details for you and the student/apprentice.
Please speak to the student or apprentice about the absence:
- Why didn’t they tell us why they were absent? Why were they absent? If they did notify us, but it was not picked up by the register system, ask them to send a ‘Comment’ via ProPortal. We can then investigate and make any changes.
- If they were late to the session it could be still marked as absent, as they were not able to participate adequately. Please speak to them about any lateness and ways to overcome it.
- Encourage them to engage in digital learning resources available to them via MS Teams/Moodle to ensure they catch up on what they have missed.
Please do not contact the college about the absence unless there is a continuing issue which needs further discussion. We will discuss absence with the student or apprentice to find ways to support and improve their attendance.
When you are back in College, a member of staff will meet with you to talk about your absence, and check if there are patterns to it. We will support you to be in College when you should be. We will also let you know what will happen if your attendance is poor in the future.