Higher education plays an important role in many aspects of life. Higher education is an excellent way develop yourself and to increase your career opportunities. Your future, your choice!
Here are just six reasons why you should study a university-level course at Leicester College:
- Affordable, high-quality learning: Our fees are more affordable than many universities, but with the same great teaching and learning experience. You could also save money by living at home rather than staying in the expensive halls of residences or private accommodation at university.
- Exceptional standards of teaching: Our teaching staff are experienced industry professionals with a genuine passion for their subjects – you can really benefit from their exceptional teaching and mentoring.
- Flexible study to suit you: We offer courses on both a full and part-time basis, enabling you to choose a mode of study that suits your lifestyle.
- Improved employability: We have long-lasting partnerships with local and national employers – offering you the opportunity to undertake work experience placements at some of the best companies around. Gaining a qualification at Leicester College will help you on the road to your dream career in a highly-competitive jobs market.
- Great support: Our students benefit from having a personal tutor, who can provide support and guidance in one-to-one tutorials and help you to access additional learning support to help you to complete your course successfully.
- Your voice is heard: Student Voice is an important part of all our courses, and helps to improve your learning experience. Each course is asked to elect representatives to act as a communication channel between students, tutors and Curriculum Managers. Student reps provide regular feedback through the HE Student Forum and discussion with Curriculum Managers. In addition, we are piloting an HE Student Ambassador project to ensure that our students are represented at the highest levels across the College. We will also seek your opinion through occasional surveys, such as the Ipsos Mori National Student Survey. Your feedback through these activities is essential to ensure the continual improvement of our programmes.
Higher Education Review
The Quality Assurance Agency conducted a Higher Education Review of our Undergraduate HE provision in January 2016. The QAA review team formed the following judgements about higher education provision at Leicester College:
- The maintenance of the academic standards of awards offered on behalf of degree-awarding bodies and other awarding organisations meet UK expectations.
- The quality of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The quality of the information about learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The enhancement of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
You can find the full report on the QAA website here.
In response to the review findings the College has produced an Action Plan.
To find out more call us 0116 224 2240 or email us
Higher education partnership with De Montfort University
Here at Leicester College we’re proud of our partnership with De Montfort University (DMU), a global university committed to delivering quality, creativity and innovation across a wide range of courses.
Studying on a higher education course at Leicester College awarded by DMU is a stepping stone towards a successful career for many of our students. It’s a university that has a well-deserved reputation for innovative teaching methods, first class facilities and life-changing research – with dynamic links to businesses
Our undergraduates experience all the benefits of student life at university. Our partnership agreement with DMU enables our students to access its facilities whilst studying on one of our undergraduate courses.
DMU supports many of our ambitions for your undergraduate studies. Throughout your course our academic teams are focused on ensuring our students have continuous exposure to industry speakers, live briefs and work experience.
As we have mentioned the majority of our undergraduate courses are awarded by DMU. Due to our close relationship with the university, a huge volume of our students progress to complete their top-up final year of their degree at DMU.
We work closely with the University to ensure our students are well prepared for the transition to university following the completion of their undergraduate study with us. In 2016 our BA Honours students graduated in DMU robes at our graduation ceremony.
Our students, studying on a DMU awarded courses, can take advantage of our partnership with DMU by accessing a variety of facilities and services that they offer. These include:
- Kimberlin Library
- De Montfort Student Union
- Accommodation Services
- QEII Sports Centre (swimming pool, climbing wall, football and basketball courts, fitness suite etc)
Progression Cash Award
Students studying on a level 4 and 5 course awarded by DMU are eligible to be considered an additional £1,000 cash award to support their studies.If you complete your full-time level 3 course with us in 2017/18 and return in 2018/19 you may be eligible.
The following DMU awarded courses are eligible:
- Foundation Degree in Fashion and Costume
- Foundation Degree in Footwear
- Foundation Degree in Dance Education and Community Practice (subject to validation)
- Foundation Degree in Sport and Exercise Science
- Foundation Degree in Music Technology
Find out more about financing your studies.
Call us 0116 224 2240 or email us
Our Partnership with De Montfort University
One City, One Voice – Courses to Careers
If your programme is awarded by De Montfort University Leicester (DMU) you will experience all the benefits of student life at university. Our partnership agreement with DMU enables our students access to some of the university’s facilities while studying on one of our undergraduate courses.
DMU supports many of your ambitions for your undergraduate studies. Throughout your course our academic teams are focused on ensuring you have continuous exposure to industry speakers, live briefs and work experience.
It has also been named the best university in the country for helping students find highly skilled work or further study, in a league table produced by higher education experts.
Many of our undergraduate courses are awarded by DMU. Due to our close relationship with the university, many of our students complete their top-up final year of their degree at DMU. We work with the university to ensure our students are well prepared for the transition following the completion of their undergraduate study with us.
Students on DMU-awarded courses can also make use of the university’s QEII Leisure Centre, which includes: 25-metre swimming pool, 13-metre climbing wall, eight-court sports hall, state-of-the-art fitness suite and a free-weights area.
If you study a full-time university-level programme awarded by DMU with us, you’ll have access to our facilities as well as DMU’s. This includes access to accommodation services on the same basis as DMU students, so you can request a place in halls if you need one. It also includes Student Union membership, access to the library and leisure facilities.
If you’re studying part-time or on a non-DMU course, call Student Services on 0116 224 2240 if you need help finding accommodation in Leicester.
We are very proud to be a partner of DMU. It was named as one of the 200 best young universities in the world (under the age of 50) by the Times Higher Education magazine in 2018.
University of the Year for Social Inclusion
DMU has been named the first ever University of the Year for Social Inclusion by The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019. DMU was chosen for its commitment to diversity, its teaching excellence and the success of its students in exams and graduate job prospects.
Through our partnership with De Montfort University, our undergraduates on DMU-awarded programmes are able to apply for the university’s accommodation.
To view their accommodation stock please visit dmu.ac.uk. Applications for DMU accommodation must be made in the first place through Leicester College. If you plan to apply to stay in DMU accommodation, please visit leicestercollege.ac.uk
Leicester is home to two large universities in addition to Leicester College. The city is well resourced to accommodate students with many independent halls of residence, as well as private accommodation available.
SULETS is the recommended private lettings agency for De Montfort University. It is jointly run by the university and its Student Union. Details about the university can be found on DMU’s website.
Guide to Qualifications
The term “higher education” is used to describe courses of study that fall within the government’s Framework for Higher Education Qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (FHEQ).
At level 4, our HNC are the equivalent to the first year of an honours degree and both our HND and foundation degree level 5 qualifications are equal to two years of an honours degree.