The Leicester College Careers Team and on-site National Careers Service Team offer FREE, impartial, information, advice, and guidance (IAG) to young people and adults. The Matrix Accredited service is fully accessible to all students and the wider community.
A whole range of advice, guidance and support is available including:
- steps to a successful career
- develop your employability skills
- ways to gain valuable work experience
- university application support
- volunteering opportunities
- CV, job search and application support
- using social media in job hunting
- comparability of overseas qualifications
- mock interviews
- career matching tests, careers information and job profiles
- course options
- self-employment options
- work or study abroad options
Appointments are available via Microsoft Teams, face to face, email, or telephone. Simply fill out the form below and a careers advisor will respond to you within three working days.
The National Careers Service (NCS) also provides a drop-in service to all 19+ adults (subject to availability). This service is available at the Abbey Park Campus Monday-Friday 9-3pm in the Careers Hub near Student Services. The National Careers Service also provides IAG at the City Skills Centre.
Our careers advisors are qualified careers guidance professionals with years of experience who are dedicated to helping you progress successfully into education, employment, or training by providing impartial information, advice and guidance that is fully integrated, accessible, and highly regarded. Our careers service is fully accessible to all students and the wider community – and it is completely free. Available at all of our main campuses.
You can request a call back from one of our careers advisors by filling in the form below. Alternatively you can contact the government’s careers advice line for teenagers.
Careers Service Enquiry Form
Alternatively you can contact us by email
If you would like to contact a careers adviser, please use the emails below:
Resources and The Gatsby Benchmarks
Labour Market Information
Labour Market Information (LMI) is a useful tool to help understand the current job market, to understand the skills needed for certain roles and the demand for future employment. It’s essentially information about job markets, the supply and demand of labour.
Labour market information can tell you:
- What jobs and skills employers are looking for
- Which industries are recruiting and where they are located
- The number of people in specific types of jobs
- Which job roles are growing and which are declining as well as general employment trends.
Click below to see the World of Work guide produced by LLEP.
Matrix Accredited Service
Leicester College Careers Team is proud to have been awarded the accolade of the matrix Standard for many years, always striving for excellence and good quality across all of our work, using it as a model that underpins all of the Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG). The Matrix Standard accreditation essentially means that the college has achieved the kite mark standard and furthermore delighted to be recognised as a leading provider by Matrix.
A number of strengths were highlighted in the assessment, including*:
- The organisation has established a system of IAG delivery across the organisation that is operating with high degrees of professional integrity and able to offer learners impartial and objective services. In particular they are offering well qualified careers services for the full range of their learners 16-19 and 19+.
- Managers and staff had a clear understanding of the IAG system in the College, the inter-relationships of service provision and the roles that they all play; staff can articulate the clear links of their particular IAG delivery to the overall ambitions of Leicester College.
- Leicester College has established a broad range of partnerships and networks that are meaningfully enhancing their IAG delivery; they are gaining useful feedback through them to shape service development.
- Leicester College is already working effectively with technology to support their IAG delivery; the more robust use of Pro-Monitor, Google Analytics monitoring of the website, weekly blogs, dedicated Careers Team Social media, and introduction of the QDP feedback system are positive examples.
The college are really pleased to be awarded with the Matrix Standard re-accreditation and look forward to meeting the standard again in 2021, which will give all of our current and potential students confidence in the high-quality, impartial careers advice and guidance that we provide. The Matrix Standard is the unique quality framework for organisations to assess and measure their information, advice, and guidance services. Assessments are rigorous and are carried out every three years, and reviewed annually.
Read more on our case study here.
See the Matrix Standard kitemark here.
Source: *LC Matrix Report Rob Barlow 10/12/18
The Leicester College Careers Team and National Careers Service offer free, impartial, information, advice, and guidance to young people and adults. Our friendly, experienced advisors are available to offer you a personalised advice and guidance service.
You can access a range of support to enable you to make the transition on to your next step whether it is to further study including university, or employment, traineeships or an apprenticeships and volunteering and more.
Meet the Careers Advisors
College Careers Advisors (16-18)
Dana Mowatt (advice and guidance co-ordinator)
Sarfraz Ahmed, Lisa Wilford, Sonia Riyait (advisors)
National Careers Service Advisors (19+)
Shabana Momin, Dhrupti Khambhaita
Careers Leadership Team
Leicester College has a Careers Leadership Team, the purpose of which is to oversee the strategic direction and implementation of the college Careers Strategy. The group will ensure the effective implementation of the Department for Education Careers Strategy (Dec 2017) and good practice Gatsby Benchmarks (2014).
The Careers Leadership Team consists of:
Vice Principal, Study Programmes and Apprenticeships
Director of Student Services and Marketing
Zoe Butler – Strategic Careers Lead
Gail Pringle – Careers – Students Services 16-18 & 19+
Lee Barrett – Head of Personal and Social Development
Awards, Accolades and Accreditation
The College has a strong reputation for careers with many positive comments in the OFSTED report 2017. The Careers Service contributed to the success of winning the Nursing Times Award 2018, HRH Integrated Approaches to Care, to be the first careers service to win an award for their partnership in the BOOST project working with young cancer survivors. Other Leicester College Careers Team Awards include:
• Smart Assessors – Special Recognition Award – Digital CV’s
• Juniper – CEIAG Provider, Referral Provider, Positive Partnership – 3 Awards
• Nomination Association of College Beacon Awards
The National Careers Service was rated outstanding by OFSTED inspection for the East Midlands which the careers team has also been part of and have been shortlisted for Staff-Excellence Awards. The Matrix Standard has also chosen to showcase the good work that the team have done as case studies on their website, as well as the Association of Colleges, as a result of their work on the Personal Guidance Fund.
Get the Jump
Taking your next step in life can be daunting. If you’re aged 14-19, the new ‘Get the Jump’ – Skills for Life pages on the National Careers Service website can help take the stress out of making your next move.
It breaks down the training and education choices that are out there for you, all in one place.
Learn more about T Levels, which mix classroom and on-the-job training so you can get a feel of a workplace. Or an Apprenticeship, so you can earn and learn at the same time. Or there are Higher Technical Qualifications which are teaching all the new skills that employers are looking for.
The National Careers Service website even includes job profiles to help you discover what different jobs involve. Get the Jump on your choices and you’ll be clued up on everything you need to know to take your next step.