International English Language Testing System
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System and is the world’s most popular English proficiency test. It is a test that measures the language ability of people who want to study or work in environments where English is used as a language of communication. An easy-to-use 9-band scale clearly identifies proficiency level, from non-user (band score 1) through to expert (band score 9).
IELTS is a valid and reliable measure of your ability to communicate in English for education, immigration, emigration and accreditation purposes.
IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment. Further information on the IELTS test can also be found on the IELTS website.
Taking your IELTS test at Leicester College
We are the only IELTS Test Centre in Leicestershire. We also offer IELTS preparation training so we can help you right through the process.
We hold regular IELTS tests every month, offering both Academic and General Training modules. A full list of our available test dates can be found on the British Council website.
Leicester College IELTS Preparation Course
During this course, you will study exam techniques to prepare you for the IELTS test. You will also have the opportunity to complete practice papers as a class and with a tutor.
Duration: 10-11 weeks, one course per College term.
Classes (subject to change): Monday and Wednesday mornings, four hours per week.
Fees (subject to change): £10.00 per hour for UK/EU students, £12.50 per hour for international students.
Venue: Abbey Park Campus
If you are interested in booking on for this course, you will need to come in for an initial assessment first. Please call 0116 224 2240 for further information.
British Council Road to IELTS
This is an online programme offered by the British Council to aid to help you prepare for the IELTS test. Once your IELTS application is complete and you have received your confirmation letters from us, you can then use your unique IELTS reference number to access this programme.
Using your reference number to log on, you can access up to 30 hours of preparation materials for free.
On 20 February 2015, the UK government announced important changes to Secure English Language Tests (SELT) for visa purposes.
If you make a visa application to stay or move to the UK, you need to be aware of changes made by United Kingdom Visas & Immigration (UKVI).
Office opening hours: Monday-Thursday 9am-4:30pm and Friday 9am-3:00pm. Telephone number: 0116 2242240 extension 4333 Email address: email@example.com
Location: IELTS Test Centre Leicester College Abbey Park Campus Painter Street Leicester LE1 3WA
The above address is also the location of the IELTS test. Our IELTS tests take place here on Saturdays.
Terms and Conditions
All terms and conditions are outlined in the below documents provided to you during the IELTS application procedure. Please ensure that you have thoroughly read these documents before applying for an IELTS test.
I want to cancel my test booking
- If you cancel your test within five weeks of your test date, you will not receive a refund. You will lose your whole test fee.
- If you cancel more than five weeks before your test date, you will receive a refund minus a 25% administration fee.
- All cancellation requests must be made in writing either by letter or email.
I want to transfer my booking
- Your test booking cannot be transferred within five weeks of your test date. If you wish to cancel your booking within this time frame, you will lose your whole test fee.
- You can transfer your test fee outside of the five week period.The transfer fee for 2017 test dates is £38.75.
- You can transfer to any of our test dates within three months of your original test session. Only two postponements can be made. If you wish to postpone your test for a third time, you will need to re-apply and pay the test fee again.
- All transfer requests must be made in writing either by letter or email.
Late arrival on the test day
- You must arrive at the Abbey Park Campus for 08.30. Any candidates that are late and arrive after registration will not be allowed to take the test. You will lose your whole test fee.
- Incorrect ID on the test day
- You must bring the same identification document that you applied with during your IELTS application. Your ID document details will be detailed on your confirmation email and letter. This must be the original ID document.
- Alternative identification documents and photocopies will not be accepted. If you bring the incorrect ID, you will be refused entry to the test and you will lose your whole test fee.
Absence on the test day
- If you are absent on your test day, you will lose your whole test fee.
- If you are absent due to mitigating circumstances, such as serious illness, we will require evidence of this no later than three days after the scheduled test date.
Enquiries on Results
You can submit for a re-mark of your IELTS results within six weeks of your test date. The fee for an Enquiry on Results is £60. One or more parts of your test can be re-marked; the fee is the same regardless. Results take 6-8 weeks to be re-marked and returned to back to us as an IELTS test centre.
To submit for an Enquiry on Results, we will require the following:
- Your original Test Report Form
- The fee of £60
- A completed Enquiry on Results form
Please contact us if you would like to submit for a re-mark of your IELTS test.
Additional Test Report Form & Receiving Organisations
IELTS test candidates only receive one Test Report Form. Any extras required can only be sent directly to the organisation. Please make sure that you check with the relevant organisation what their entry requirements.
As part of your IELTS application, you will have the opportunity to add any Receiving Organisations. These organisations will automatically receive a copy of your IELTS test results. Up to five Test Report Forms can be sent to Receiving Organisations if requested before results are released.
If you require any additional copies of your results to be sent to organisations once you have received your IELTS test results, there will be a charge per additional Test Report Form. The fees are as follows:
- Standard, second class delivery – £20
- First class, recorded delivery – £25
There is also an IELTS form that will need to be completed before posting these out.
Please contact us if you would like to request for an additional Test Report Form.
We make every effort to cater for candidates with a form of disability or special requirement.
To support your application for special circumstances, we will require a copy of your medical certificate. This must be dated within the last two years.
We require a minimum of six weeks’ notice to put in place any administrative arrangements, such as extra time or separate invigilation. If further provisions are required, such as modified papers, a minimum of three months’ notice must be provided.
Please contact us if you have any queries or would like to discuss this further.
All IELTS test results are released 13 days after the test date. This is the second Friday after the Saturday test. Results are released after midday.
Online on the IELTS British Council website.
You will need your candidate number, identification document number, date of birth and test date when checking your results online.
Test Report Forms are sent out in the post on results day. These are posted standard second class. Please allow 1-2 weeks for UK delivery. All international post is posted first class. Please allow 3-6 weeks for international delivery. If any items are returned to us in the post, we will contact you immediately to inform you of this.
Please inform us in writing prior to results day if you wish to collect your results from our office. You must bring your identification document with you when collecting results.