What is Aptis ESOL?
Aptis ESOL is an English language qualification designed and developed by British Council language testing experts. It is regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) in England. Aptis ESOL assesses English language proficiency in all four skills: speaking, listening, reading, and writing, at all levels from A1 to C2 on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference).
Aptis ESOL General
A general English proficiency test for candidates who are over 16 years old. It tests levels from A1 to B2 on the CEFR.
Aptis ESOL Advanced
A variant of Aptis which tests language proficiency from B1 to C2 on the CEFR. Tasks are more complex and designed to distinguish between C1 and C2 level candidates.
Aptis ESOL for Teachers
Is adapted for the educational context. The test content relates to teachers and the scenarios they come across every day. It has the same format as Aptis ESOL General and tests levels from A1 to B2.
Why choose Aptis ESOL?
You can use Aptis ESOL to validate the level of English of your candidates, employees or students and ensure that they meet the proficiency requirements. Aptis ESOL can be easily integrated in your existing procedures to meet your specific needs.
Aptis ESOL is developed by British Council language assessment experts and validated in a number of studies by independent researchers. All test items go through a strict quality assurance process. The innovative marking system ensures accuracy and eliminates bias. Aptis ESOL is delivered in invigilated face-to-face sessions under strict security. This allows us to guarantee the reliability of test taker’s results.
Trusted, secure and accurate testing
- regulated by Ofqual
- validated by research
- secure delivery
- flexible testing options
- reliable, recognised proof of level at an affordable price
- quick and accurate results in just 48 hours.
You can use Aptis ESOL to certify your English level according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) and meet the language requirements of your organisation.
With Aptis ESOL you get:
- an Ofqual-regulated certificate from the British Council at an affordable price
- convenient test dates and locations
- quick and accurate results in just 48 hours
- testing on a computer
- user-friendly test format.
Results and certificates
The results from Aptis ESOL are available 48 hours after the date of the test.
The results from Aptis ESOL are presented in two ways:
- Numerical score: A score from 0 to 50 for each component
- CEFR level by skill: A CEFR level is allocated for each skill
- An overall CEFR level.
Receiving your certificate
You can collect your certificate by emailing aptis@LeicesterCollege.ac.uk
Enquiry on results
If you are not happy with your results, you can request your test to be re-marked for an additional fee. This service is known as Enquiry on Results.
How does it work?
- You may only ask for a re-marking of the entire test, and not for a single component.
- Grammar and vocabulary, reading and listening components checks are conducted by the system, to ensure they have been marked accurately.
- The speaking and writing components are re-marked by senior examiners. Re-marked test results are considered final.
- If your overall CEFR level increases after the re-marking, you will be refunded the full enquiry on results fee, and you will be issued with a new Aptis ESOL certificate.
- If your CEFR level remains the same or changes in a single component, but the overall CEFR level does not change, the fee will be retained, and you will be informed.
- The outcome of the Enquiry on Results is considered final. The results from the remarking process will be available after ten working days.
How to submit an Enquiry on Results?
You can make an Enquiry on Results request at any point up to eight weeks after the test day.
View the Aptis ESOL Appeal policy.
If you need to submit a complaint, please contact us on aptis@LeicesterCollege.ac.uk.
Cancellation and transfer policy
If you are taking Aptis ESOL and wish to cancel or transfer your test date, you can do this under the following conditions:
- If you cancel your test date within 14 days of your booking confirmation, you will receive a full refund and no administration fee will apply. Alternatively, you can move your test date free of charge to any other available time, venue and location within the country.
- If a refund request is submitted outside the 14-day cancellation period but no later than 48 hours prior to the test date, you will receive a full refund. Alternatively, you can move your test date free of charge to any other available time, venue and location within the country.
- If you cancel your Aptis ESOL test registration outside the 14-day cancellation period and less than 48 hours before your test date, no refund will be issued, and you will not be able to reschedule your test date.
Prepare for Aptis
You can find preparation materials on the British Council’s website here, including candidate guides and useful videos.
If you need special arrangements for your test date, please email aptis@LeicesterCollege.ac.uk and let us know six weeks before the test date. More details on special arrangements are provided on the British Council’s website here.