How do Leicester College support Young Adult Carers?
Leicester College have received the accreditation for the Quality Standard in Carer Support, in recognition of the ways in which we consider the needs and interests of the carers that choose to study with us.
We are proud to have been able to achieve this accreditation through the following initiatives:
- Training has been provided to all staff so that carers are recognised across College and supported as early as possible into their studies.
- Training is made readily available for students to access on their Moodle page.
- For students who are carers in their personal lives, we help to support them in continue giving the valuable care they are giving, whilst being successful in their education, taking part in activities and having time for social interaction.
What support do we provide to our Young Adult Carers?
- A Student Support Plan is completed which outlines your role as a young adult carer, any college concerns you have and solutions are agreed upon which will enable you to be successful in your course.
- Regular communication and updates via our Microsoft Teams group specifically for Young Adult Carers at College.
We also work closely with all the fantastic support teams across Leicester College, who can provide additional support across the following areas:
- Mentoring Team – a confidential service open to all students. If you feel you are struggling with your studies whilst being a carer or you feel overwhelmed, mentors give you a safe space to speak and can liaise with your lecturers and advise you on your next steps.
- Careers Team – open to all students whether you are studying at Leicester College or not. Our friendly Careers team will be able to tell you about the support available at Leicester College, so you feel confident with being able to commit to your first choice of course.
- Counselling Team – fully trained and professional counsellors who will give you a safe space to express and understand yourself better through Talking Therapy.
- Aspire Team – if you are need of mental health support and it is having an impact on your life at college, or if you have a diagnosed mental health condition, Aspire can help you put together a personalised plan or signpost you to the appropriate services.
- Student Enrichment Team – keep an eye on the SET page on Moodle for exciting activities and sessions for all students.
- Your Lecturers – will complete the Young Carers Support Plan to help you talk about your role confidently and support you to successfully complete your course.
Leicester College also work with external organisations in Leicester and Leicestershire and help you on your way to a career in the industry. Whether you are a carer between the age of 16-18 or a carer at 18 years old and above, we can direct you to the right services that will be there for you throughout your journey.
Look out for our upcoming blog pages on Services in Leicester and Leicestershire over the next few months!