Leicester College Blog

Why become an apprentice with Leicester College?


What is an apprentice?

Since an apprenticeship is a job with training, when you become an apprentice, you spend most of your time at work. As a result, around 80% of your working time will be in your day-to-day role. The remaining 20% of the time will be spent studying, usually with us in College. Because it’s a job, you’ll get paid (at least the apprenticeship rate of the national minimum wage). Finally, when you are 19 or over and have completed the first year of your apprenticeship, you are entitled to the normal minimum wage. Some employers will offer more.

Will I get a qualification?

Apprenticeships include professional qualifications which allow you to continue working in your chosen career once the apprenticeship has finished. For example, with a dental nursing apprenticeship you will achieve a qualification from the General Dental Council. As a result, you will be able to register as a qualified dental nurse. An apprenticeship in hairdressing can give you the level 2 Diploma for Hair Professionals. Consequently, you will be able to look for work as a senior hairdresser or barber.

What types of apprenticeship are there?

There are hundreds of different job titles for apprenticeships – so each apprenticeship is different depending on your employer and their business. Since apprenticeships cover so many industries, it is sometimes possible to start an apprenticeship in a job you already have. Most of all, our vacancies cover areas of work including:

  • Administration and reception
  • bricklaying
  • carpentry
  • commis chef
  • childcare
  • business admin
  • dental nursing
  • digital marketing/social media
  • electronic engineering
  • fitness instructing
  • hairdressing and barbering
  • health and social care
  • hospitality service
  • IT engineering
  • legal business
  • motor vehicle maintenance and repair
  • motorcycle mechanic
  • painting and decorating
  • pharmacy services
  • plastering
  • plumbing
  • retail
  • screen printing
  • warehousing.


Who can become an apprentice?

Almost anyone. You have to be at least 16, and an apprenticeship counts as remaining in education, so it’s a great alternative to staying on at school or doing a college course. Furthermore, there isn’t an upper age limit so lots of our apprentices are adults rather than school leavers. Because getting qualified is so important, if you don’t have English and maths GCSE passes at 4/C or above already, these will also form part of your apprenticeship.

How can I find out more?

First of all, you can see our live vacancies here. Or maybe you’ll find your ideal apprenticeship on the government’s apprenticeship website. Another way to find out more is to ring us on 0116 224 2240 or email info@leicestercollege.ac.uk.


Sign Up for Updates

Be the first to discover all the latest news, offers, courses and events at Leicester College...