Work experience 16-19: what’s it all about?
As well as English and Maths, work experience now forms an essential part of every learner’s study programme at Leicester College.
Here at Leicester College, we recognise that getting a quality, appropriate work placement that is relevant to your career aims is important for every learner. Furthermore, if you’re aged 16 to 19 and studying a vocational course at any college in the UK, the Department for Education has now made it compulsory for you to undertake work experience.
Why do I have to do work experience?
- Work experience will give you a deeper understanding of what is involved in your industry
- It will help you to understand expectations in the world of work
- It will improve your CV and future job prospects
- You will be able to put knowledge learned on your course to practical use
- It can help you make contacts which may lead to a job or an apprenticeship
Where can I do my work experience?
This will depend on your course, skills, and interests, but in the past learners have successfully completed placements with highly respected local employers such as:
- The Hilton Hotel; Premier Inn; Holiday Inn, and the Marriott
- Leicester Royal Infirmary and other NHS employers locally
- Leicestershire Police Cadets; Air Cadets, and Army Cadets
- Leicester Riders
- Alton Towers
- Ragdale Hall
- Leicester City Council
- Local care homes, nursing homes, counselling services, advocacy and mental health services
- Local primary schools and nurseries
- Thomas Cook
- City Plumbing
- East Midlands Airport
- National Space Centre
- British Heart Foundation
- Leicester Tigers
What support is there in place to help?
You’re not on your own when it comes to your work experience placement(s). We have a team of experienced, enthusiastic and professional Work Experience Progression Co-Ordinators in place at the College who will work with you to help you improve and develop your employability skills and secure the right placement for your career ambitions.