Commis Chef Apprenticeship
Benefits of working with this employer include Statuary Holidays, Tips, Uniform supplied, and the opportunity to work with a close knit team
The working pattern is Wednesday to Sunday on various shifts.
Total hours per week: 37.5 hours a week
Possible start date
22 Sep 2023
24 Aug 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
1 position available
What will the apprentice be doing?
- To work to the company’s policies and procedures, health & safety policy and food hygiene regulations.
- Prepare, cook and serve hot and cold meals to the company’s standards
- Provide food for special dietary requirements as required, taking into account customer’s preferences
- Continually seek to improve professional knowledge and competence
- Take part in staff briefings, meetings and training in order to continually improve company standards and customer service.
- Identify opportunities for new business and improvements in market strategy
- Other duties and responsibilities consistent with the role as required by the Catering Manager.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
On completion of the qualification, the apprentice will receive a level 2 Commis Chef qualification. The apprentice will work with the employer four days a week and attend Leicester College at Freemen’s Park Campus one day a week.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The natural progression from commis chef is to demi-chef de partie, chef de partie (section chef) and then onwards and upwards to sous chef and head chef.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Organisation skills
- Customer care skills
- Problem solving skills
- Team working
- Non judgemental
- Numerate – placing orders
- Understanding of allergens
- Excellent presentation skills
- Can do attitude
- Genuine interest in food
- GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 3) essential
- GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 3) essential
Things to consider
The applicant must show that they have a genuine interest in food and furthering their culinary knowledge. With an ability to remain calm and deliver in a pressured environment.
About the employer
The Great Central Railway is the UK’s only double track, main line heritage railway. It’s the only place in the world where full size steam engines can be seen passing each other – just as it was when steam ruled the rails. They have a great selection of dining trains with over 200 services. Which include three, four, five and six course meals, Sunday luncheon, and afternoon tea.
GREAT CENTRAL RAILWAY PLC
- GREAT CENTRAL RD
- LE11 1RW
Level 2 (GCSE)
Candidates will apply through the Find an apprenticeship service (opens in a new tab)