If you are not a national of a European Union (EU) / European Economic Area (EEA) country and you wish to study in the UK, it is important that you apply for an appropriate UK visa or entry clearance in your home country. There are two types visas that allow you to study in the UK: the Short-Term Student Visa and the Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.

Note: Leicester College is NOT A TIER 4 SPONSOR and we cannot offer places to students requiring a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa to study in the UK – we are only able to accept applications for courses that require a Short Term Student Visa.

Short-Term Student Visa

If you are 18 years or over and you are coming to the UK to study for a maximum of six months (or 11 months if you intend to study intensive English language), you may be able to enter as a Short-Term Student.

The ordinary Short-Term Student category will allow you to come to the UK if you are 18 years or older, and want to enter:

  • for up to 6 months to study a short course in any subject area; or
  • for up to 11 months to study an English language course.

If you choose to come as a short-term student you will NOT be allowed to do any work (including unpaid work) or a work placement or work experience (even if it is part of a course). Short-term students are not allowed to apply to switch into any other immigration or visa category while still in the UK.

This type of visa cannot be extended – If you wish to continue your studies after the visa period, even at another institution, you will have to leave the UK and apply for another visa in your own country to return.

Visa information is provided for guidance only.  Detailed up-to-date information on all student visas is available on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Applicants Already in the UK

If you are already in the UK on a non-student visa and you wish to undertake some form of study at Leicester College, please contact the International Office and we can advise what your study rights are and what courses we may be able to offer you.

Schengen Visas

You should apply for a Schengen visa if you are planning to visit other European Economic Area (EEA) countries during your studies and you are a national of a non-EEA country that requires a visa.

Under the Schengen scheme you only need to apply to one consulate or embassy of a Schengen member state, but you would still be able to visit other member countries.

You should apply to the consulate/embassy of the country where you plan to spend most of your time, or where you will go first. Please note that the UK is not part of the Schengen scheme and having a visa to travel to the UK will not allow you to visit Schengen countries if you are from a country that requires a Schengen visa.

For more information on Schengen Visas, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the EU website here.