Study English in the home of Leicester City Football Club!

Leicester College offers one of the widest selections of intensive English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) courses in the UK. We offer various levels, from entry to advanced, to help you improve your English language skills, to prepare you for further academic or vocational study in the UK, or for employment at home.


ESOL Courses for International Students

Our language courses are offered at a range of levels depending on the student’s existing knowledge. All students are assessed when they arrive to ensure they are placed in a class at the appropriate level. All ESOL courses will enable students to improve their Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing skills in English, as well as their citizenship, employability, and study skills.

We have flexible start and finish dates between September and June. Minimum length of study: four weeks, up to one full academic year.

IELTS Preparation Courses

All international learners will be able to take full advantage of the fact that Leicester College is the only British Council IELTS Test Centre in all of Leicester and the surrounding areas.

A specialised IELTS Preparation Course is available to students enrolled in our English language programmes – this is a separate 11 week course (four hours per week) studied alone or in combination with General ESOL – we have September, January and mid-April commencements for the IELTS Preparation Course.

More Information and How to Apply

Detailed information on our English language (ESOL and IELTS preparation programmes) for the 2017-2018 academic year is also available in leaflets in English, 中文, ภาษาไทย, اللغة العربية, or Tiếng Việt.

To make an application for enrolment, please refer to the How to Apply page.

Visa Requirements for ESOL

Students wishing to undertake any ESOL programme for periods up to 11 months (i.e.: up to one academic year full-time) should apply for a Short-Term Student Visa.  Please note that this visa cannot be extended to enable further study and you cannot apply to transfer onto another type of student visa. English language programmes undertaken on this visa category can be at any level.

Refer to the Visas & Immigration section for more information.