It can be daunting moving to a new country, trying to learn a new language and study at the same time. At Leicester College we understand this, and we will support you in making the move as smooth and stress-free as possible.

While Leicester College doesn’t provide any accommodation directly, and we are unable to source family ‘homestay’ accommodation, the information below should help you and we will do our best in the International Office to advise and support you to find suitable accommodation.

Self-Catering Student Halls of Residence

A student halls of residence is a large building that is split into apartments, and each of these apartments contains a number of lockable study bedrooms. Some will have en-suite facilities and some will have communal bathrooms – it varies from hall to hall.  You will usually have a shared kitchen and living space with the other learners in your apartment.

These are owned and managed by private companies, and the cost is roughly £75 to £145 per week depending on location and standard, which generally includes gas, electricity and water bills. Most also include Internet usage. A refundable security deposit of approximately £200-£250 is generally also required.

‘Self-catering’ means food is not included and you will have to cook for yourself. We recommend you budget £50 per week for food if you intend to prepare your own food; more if you plan to eat out at restaurants.

You are generally required to bring or buy your own bedding and cooking utensils.

Please note that most student accommodation companies insist upon payment of rent in advance, although they usually allow instalments (perhaps 2-3 per year).

You should be able to arrange accommodation is a halls of residence while still in your home country.  A list of student halls of residence is attached.  Please note that in the UK once you have booked the accommodation the contract is for the whole academic year, September-June.

Shared Accommodation (Houses / Flats)

This is where you live in a house rented by a group of young people, usually shared between 3-4 other students.  The kitchen, bathroom and living room are shared and each person has their own bedroom.   Some will be available with basic furnishings and appliances but many will not.  This is something you will need to check.

This type of accommodation is typically £70-£120 per week per room, but this does not include food or charges for gas, water and electricity, which are shared with other tenants in the house.

Private Accommodation (Houses / Flats)

There are plenty of options in Leicester for renting houses or flats from private landlords.  This is often the best option for families or couples.  Some properties will be available with basic furnishings and appliances but many will not.  This is something you will need to check.

The cost could range from £400 to £700 per calendar month depending on the size of the house or flat.  This would not include charges for gas, water, electricity and internet etc.

Private accommodation and shared accommodation is more difficult to arrange while you are still overseas. We strongly recommend that you view the property and in the case of shared accommodation, meet other tenants in the house, before you commit to pay any deposit or sign any contract. These contracts are legal documents and you are legally bound by the terms and conditions.

We recommend that you arrange temporary accommodation in a hostel, a hotel or in a bed and breakfast for when you first arrive to allow you time to look at private shared accommodation options before making your decision.

Further Information

Leicester College does not recommend any particular accommodation, but we can provide you with information on options to help you make a decision.  You will need to consider factors such as on-site security and the number of rooms/other occupants, as well as cost and location, to find the place that is most suitable for you.

Further information on student accommodation options is available from the International Office:

You can download our detailed accommodation guide here: Accomodation guide

Note that if you are accepted onto a course at Leicester College that leads to a qualification awarded by our partner, De Montfort University (such as a Foundation Degree or HND etc.), then you can apply for a place in De Montfort’s student accommodation.  Details of De Montfort’s student accommodation is available at: