You will service and repair light vehicles such as cars and vans. If you work in either the main dealership for a particular manufacturer or an independent garage that deals with many different makes of vehicles, this course provides you with all the competency and knowledge to carry out your role successfully. The nature of the work ranges from replacing simple parts to solving complex faults with the use of diagnostic methods and equipment. The day-to-day tasks that you may face are constantly changing, driven by the introduction of ever more complex technologies and diagnostic techniques.
An apprenticeship is a job with training. You will be employed at least 30 hours a week, with 80% of your working hours in your day-to-day role, and the remaining 20% of your time engaged in training or study.
By enquiring about this apprenticeship you are not applying for a specific apprenticeship role. For current vacancies please take a look at the apprenticeship vacancies page.
What You'll Learn
The initial focus will be on the development of your knowledge and learning to complete basic service and repair activity on customer vehicles. This apprenticeship will enable you to operate effectively under supervision to carry out full vehicle services.
During year one you will develop good team working skills and operate as an effective team member who understands how your workshop and the dealership or garage functions from a commercial perspective. You will gain good customer handling skills and identify ways in which you can work more efficiently.
With the skills you learn in the first year of your apprenticeship you should have a basic understanding and knowledge of the fundamentals of vehicle technologies. You will go on to develop your practical workplace skills across key areas such as, removing and replacing bolts and replacing seals to more advanced skill work including using diagnostic tools to establish faults and service and maintaining a vehicle without supervision.
This industry-standard skills base will give you the opportunity to advance as a technician and also gain a qualification that meets the EU’s 2014 F-gas regulations.
You must achieve your English and maths at GCSE grade 4/C (or Functional Skills level 2) or above before the Apprenticeship Standard can be awarded to you. You will also need to demonstrate a commitment to learning while working and spending 20% of your working hours completing off-the-job training. Individual employers will set the selection criteria for the applicant.
It is recommended during the selection process that you demonstrate the following qualities:
1) Show that you are interested in the way vehicles operate and the potential to research, analyse and solve problems in an organised, methodical way.
2) Be able to work in a team and to communicate well both orally and in writing.
3) Show that you care about delivering excellent service, both internally and externally to colleagues and customers
4) Demonstrate general analytical and mechanical skills
5) Demonstrate a capacity for mechanical reasoning and good spatial awareness
How you will be assessed
The assessment for this apprenticeship has two components; an observation end test and a light-touch robust on-programme assessment, providing assured outcomes for the sector.
The programme will conclude with an independent observation assessment. This begins with the employer and training provider confirming that you are fully competent and ready to enter this final phase, followed by a four-part assessment.
PPE must be work at college and in the workshops
If the course is longer than one year the total fees are for the first year only and further fees may apply in future years. All fees are based on a ‘home’ learner status. Please contact us for information on overseas fees.
For more information, please see our course fee disclaimers page.
Course and Career progression
You can progress on to the following route after completing your level 3 Qualification in Motor Vehicle Service and Maintenance to level 4 qualification and further technology courses within the Motor Vehicle industry.
If you’re not sure, you can give our experienced team at Leicester College a call on 0116 2242240 to discuss this further.
What Happens Next
You can express your interest for this apprenticeship by completing an application form or alternatively you can apply for one of our live apprenticeship vacancies via the College website. Our apprenticeships can also be found on the government’s apprenticeship site, gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship. As with any other job application, if you are shortlisted then you will be invited for an interview at the employer’s premises. You can apply for as many apprenticeship vacancies as you want.