The course is run from City Skills Centre, each Wednesday 9:45am to 12:15pm for 9 weeks.
Over the past year, many people have found it difficult to use technical equipment for things like; filling in forms, keeping up to date with school/college work or even joining in with online meetings. These days most forms which we need to fill in are now completed online and this can often be quite confusing for a beginner. We’ve designed a course to help you get started using a computer in various ways.
What You'll Learn
You will learn the basics skills in how to use technical devices/equipment. Wherever possible we shall also use comparisons to your own devices so that you will be able to adapt the same principles when you get home. You could also bring your own mobile devices/equipment along with you to the course if this would be more beneficial to you.
This course will help you:
– be able to use a computer or alternative device.
– learn how to use your college and personal email account.
– how to use a computer and learn about basic IT skills.
– basic email skills – Including personal and college email accounts.
– how to use your College Account – Microsoft package, which is free whilst enrolled at Leicester College
– Microsoft Teams – basic skills in using Teams (for online training).
– How to save your files to ‘One Drive’ or an external device e.g., USB.
– Be able to enrol on an online training course and learn the basic principles in online training.
– Download an ‘App’ onto your mobile devices.
– How to fill in ‘online forms’ and save these to your device.
– An overview of how to use social media; creating social media accounts and upload photos etc.
– Using search engines safely and effectively and staying safe online; virus protection, removing browsing history etc.
– How to create documents, save, and retrieve files.
– Use basic toolbar features: copy, paste, save, change font style and colour, use spell check etc.
No previous experience is needed to enrol on this course. You just need to be over 19.
How you will be assessed
There are no assessments, exams or coursework.
Tuition Fees (19+): £90.00
The cost of the course is £90.00.
However, you will not be required to pay a fee for this course if you are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
JSA or ESA (Employment and Support Allowance Work Related Action Group)
There will be no fees if you earn less than £20.319.
If the course is longer than one year the total fees are for the first year only and further fees may apply in future years. All fees are based on a ‘home’ learner status. Please contact us for information on overseas fees.
For more information, please see our course fee disclaimers page.
Course and Career progression
Following on from this course you might get bitten by the computer bug We have lots of IT courses you can enrol onto if you wish to gain an IT qualification. We also have many hobbie and lesuire courses you may find of interest to you. Your tutor will be happy to advise you on all the possibilities.
What Happens Next
Apply online via the College website. You will be contacted to come into College if required, or you will be sent a conditional offer according to the entry requirements for the course. You will then be invited in to enrol for your chosen course of study.
For enrol and pay courses: Once you have decided to take the course, you need to fill in a short student details form online and pay the course fee. Once you have done this, you will receive an electronic confirmation of enrolment and payment.