The qualification aims to provide you with a range of technical skills and knowledge, which will equip you to progress on to the level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing.
You don’t need any previous knowledge or experience to start this qualification and it will suit anyone who wants to learn all of the technical skills and knowledge needed to work as a junior stylist providing basic hairdressing services. In today’s market, cutting, colouring, and styling are key skills and this is evidenced in the increase of salon businesses opening up.
If you are aged 16 to 18, you will be enrolled on a study programme. This will include retaking GCSEs or undertaking Functional Skills in English and maths if you haven’t already achieved a grade 4 or above.
You will take part in activities that help you to develop your personal skills, such as building your character and confidence. This will help you to live well and move into your chosen career.
If you are 16-19 years old these activities will be timetabled as will work experience and placement. You can also choose to take part in other activities.
For other age groups, activities will be tailored to your needs.
What You'll Learn
If you are interested in the level 2 technical certificate in Hairdressing services, you will study theoretical aspects of the subject and apply them to practical tasks.
Topics include the following:
1. The principles of hairdressing and barbering
2. How to shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
3. How to style, set and finish hair
4. Cutting hair using a variety of techniques
5. Colouring hair
6. Hair up skills
You must have sufficient skills in Math’s and English to be accepted onto this course.
Standard entry to this course requires one reference. It is desirable that you can demonstrate 90% attendance. A GCSE in both English and Maths at grade 3 (D), but ideally grade 4 and above is desired.
How you will be assessed
To gain this qualification you must successfully complete the following assessments:
1. An externally set, practical exam, which will be carried out in the college salon over a 6 hour period. The typical exam brief will require candidates to provide a variety of hairdressing services to a number of clients within a commercially viable time. This will require students to use consultation techniques to identify client requirements and build a professional rapport.
2. An externally set, externally marked, written exam, sat under exam conditions. The exam is designed to assess the depth and breadth of your understanding across content in the qualification, using a range of question types. Candidates who fail the exam at the first sitting will have one opportunity to re-sit.
Tuition Fees (16-18): £0.00
The costs for uniform and kit is subject to change but there is an additional cost for each.
If the course is longer than one year the total fees are for the first year only and further fees may apply in future years. All fees are based on a ‘home’ learner status. Please contact us for information on overseas fees.
For more information, please see our course fee disclaimers page.
Course and Career progression
This level 2 technical certificate aims to provide you with a range of essential technical practical skills and knowledge, to progress onto the level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing or into employment as a junior stylist providing basic services within the hairdressing industry. Following successful completion of this qualification, you will be qualified to work in a number of professional settings such as hairdressing salons, hotels or cruise ships. You may also choose to continue your training on a level 2 hairdressing apprenticeship.
What Happens Next
Apply online via UCAS Progress or the College website. You will need details of your qualifications, a reference, and a personal statement to complete your application. Once your application has been successfully processed, you will be sent a conditional offer and be invited to a welcome event at the College to meet your tutors, learn more about your chosen course of study and tour the facilities. You will then need to confirm your acceptance of the course offered to you.