The 16-18 year old Learner Support Fund provides help to students who may find it difficult to attend Leicester College without financial support. The purpose of the fund is to help with travel to College, uniform/equipment, the material fee and for particular groups of students, a subsidised College meal.
The amount of money we have for the fund is limited and it is given out on a first come, first served basis. You should apply as soon as possible by completing a Learner Support Fund 16-18 years online application. We will then assess it to see if you are eligible to receive money from the Fund. We will write to you to let you know whether you will receive support or not.
- Aged at least 16 and under 19 on 31 August of the year your course starts
- Students with Education Health Care Plan and aged 19 – 24 on 31 August of the academic year your course starts
- Aged 19 or over on 31 August and continuing on a study programme which began when aged 16 -18
- Enrolled on a publicly funded course at Leicester College
- Meet the financial conditions gross household income below £33,000.
- Meet the residency conditions.
To qualify for support you must meet the above criteria. The total amount that you and your parents/carers can earn each year is £33,000. If more is earned you will not be able to apply for help through the Learner Support Fund. If you are 16-18 and live away from your parents/carers and receive benefits only your income will be counted and the threshold for this is currently £18,525.
Types of Financial Support
- Travel (for those that live 2 miles or more from the campus that they study at)
- Essential uniform and equipment
- Material fee (paid at enrolment)
- Subsided meals at college. Eligibility for this part of the fund depends on the type of benefits you/your parent/carer receives (if any).
Financial help with Childcare is provided by a Government scheme called Care to Learn and must be applied for separately if you are under 20 years of age and have childcare responsibilities.
You must be enrolled on a course at Leicester College to receive the above funding.
16-18 Vulnerable Bursary
We also have a bursary for vulnerable 16-18 year olds. The following students are entitled to this fund:
- Student who is currently under a Social Services care order
- Student who has left Social Services care
- Student in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit in their own right
- Student in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment in their own right
This bursary is paid on a weekly basis to eligible students. It is paid directly into the student’s bank account and is subject to attendance on their course. The maximum amount of payment is £1200 over the academic year.
You don’t need to complete another application form to apply for the 16-18 Vulnerable Bursary – just complete the main online Learner Support Fund application and we will assess whether you are eligible to receive this additional payment.