The 16-18 year old Bursary Fund provides financial support to students who may find it difficult to start a course at Leicester College or complete their studies. It is allocated on a first come, first served basis. To apply you must complete a Bursary Fund application form. We we will then assess it to see if you are eligible to claim it.
Please note there is also a 16 -18 year old Vulnerable Bursary for some young people who are in care or are recent care leavers, or receive certain benefits in their own right.
To be eligible for the Fund you must meet the following criteria:
- Aged at least 16 and under 19 on 31 August 2018
- Have an Education Health Care Plan and aged 19 – 24 on 31st August 2018
- Aged 19 or over on 31 August and continuing on a study programme which began when aged 16 -18
- Enrol on a publicly funded course at Leicester College
- Meet certain financial conditions
- Meet certain residency conditions
Financial support available
To qualify for support you must meet the above criteria and also have a gross household income of below £30,000. For the majority of 16 -18 year old students parental/carers income will be taken into account. Students living independently and in receipt of a benefit will be assessed on their own income. Funding is limited so students are advised to apply as soon as they apply for a course. Students will be informed in writing of the outcome of their application. If students do not apply early there may not be funding available to support them with their course costs.
Types of support available:
- Bus pass (for those that live 2+ miles from the campus that they study at)
- Essential kit and equipment
- Materials fee (paid at enrolment)
- Subsided meals at college. Eligibility for this part of the bursary depends on the type of benefits your parent/carer receives (if any)
Students must be enrolled on a course at Leicester College in order to receive the above funding.