The 16-18 year old Bursary Fund provides financial support to students who may find it difficult to start a course at Leicester College or complete their studies. The amount of money we have for the bursary fund is limited and it is given out on a first come, first served basis. You should apply as soon as possible by completing a Bursary Fund application form. We will then assess it to see if you are eligible to receive money from the Fund. We will write to you to let you know whether you will receive support or not.
To be eligible for the Fund you must:
- be aged at least 16 and under 19 on 31 August of the year your course starts
- have an Education Health Care Plan and aged 19 – 24 on 31 August of the year your course starts
- be aged 19 or over on 31 August and continuing on a study programme which began when aged 16 -18
- be enrolled on a publicly funded course at Leicester College
- meet certain financial conditions
- meet certain residency conditions.
Financial support available
To qualify for support you must meet the above criteria. The total amount that you and your parents/carers can earn each year is £30,000. If more is earned you will not be able to apply for help through the bursary fund. If you are 16-18 and live away from your parents/carers and receive benefits only your income will be counted.
Types of support available:
- bus pass (for those that live 2+ miles from the campus that they study at)
- essential kit and equipment
- materials fee (paid at enrolment)
- Subsided meals at college. Eligibility for this part of the bursary depends on the type of benefits your parent/carer receives (if any).
16-18 Vulnerable Bursary
As well as the Fund for the above, we also have another bursary for 16-18 year olds who are one of the following:
- in care
- a care leaver
- in receipt of Income Support (IS) or Universal Credit in place of IS in their own right
- in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment in their own right
This bursary is paid on a weekly basis to eligible students. It is paid directly into the student’s bank account and is subject to attendance on their course. The maximum amount of payment is £1200 over the academic year.
You don’t need to complete another form to apply for the 16-18 Vulnerable Bursary – just complete the main Bursary Fund application form and we will check whether you are eligible to receive this additional payment.