The 16-18 year old Bursary Fund provides financial support to students who may find it difficult to start a course at Leicester College or complete their studies. It is allocated on a first come, first served basis. To apply, you must complete a Bursary Fund application form. We will then assess it to see if you are eligible to claim it.
To be eligible for the Fund you must meet the following criteria:
- Aged at least 16 and under 19 on 31 August 2019
- Have an Education Health Care Plan and aged 19 – 24 on 31st August 2019
- Aged 19 or over on 31 August and continuing on a study programme which began when aged 16 -18
- Enrol on a publicly funded course at Leicester College
- Meet certain financial conditions
- Meet certain residency conditions
Financial support available
To qualify for support you must meet the above criteria and also have a gross household income of below £30,000. For the majority of 16 -18 year old students parental/carers income will be taken into account. Students living independently and in receipt of a benefit will be assessed on their own income. Application forms for support are available from May and funding is limited so students are advised to apply early. Students will be informed in writing of the outcome of their application. If students do not apply early there may not be funding available to support them with their course costs.
Types of support available:
- Bus pass (for those that live 2+ miles from the campus that they study at)
- Essential kit and equipment
- Materials fee (paid at enrolment)
- Subsided meals at college. Eligibility for this part of the bursary depends on the type of benefits your parent/carer receives (if any)
Students must be enrolled on a course at Leicester College in order to receive the above funding.
16-18 Vulnerable Bursary
If you are a student at the College, 16-18 years old and one of the following you may also be eligible for the Vulnerable Bursary.
- In care
- A care leaver
- In receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit in place of IS in their own right
- In receipt of Employment and Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment in their own right
This bursary is paid on a weekly basis to eligible students. It is paid directly into the student’s bank account and is subject to attendance on their course. The maximum amount of payment is £1200 over the academic year.
Complete the Bursary Fund application form to apply.