If you are aged 19 or over and your course begins after 1 August 2016, you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan.
These loans help you to cover the cost of your course fees – whether that’s a full or part-time course or training programme at levels 3, 4, 5, or 6. And you won’t even have to start paying it back until you’re earning £21,000 a year or more.
Who is eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan?
- Those aged 19 or above at the start of the course
- Those studying or training at Level 3, 4, 5 or 6
- Those legally residing in the UK for the past three years
- UK nationals and those with settled status (there are also some exceptions)
- Those who have not previously had a loan to study the same type/level of qualification.
More eligibility information can be found here.
The loan is available irrespective of the learner’s current employment status and the loan will not be means tested or subject to any credit checks.
How Do I Apply?
- Apply for your chosen course at Leicester College.
- If your application is successful, we will send you an offer letter; which will outline how to apply for the loan (via Student Finance England) and the maximum amount you can apply for.
- Complete either an online or paper-based application form.
- Once your application has been approved you’ll be informed
- Online applications will be processed within two to four days with a valid UK passport. Other applications will be processed in two to four weeks.
For all eligible courses the loan will be up to 100% of the cost of the training, including course and material fees. You will have one loan to cover the length of your course, so do bear this in mind when budgeting.
For more information about Advanced Learner Loans please contact Leicester College on 0116 224 2240 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do Advanced Learner Loans work?
They work in a similar way to the current Student Loans system. The learner will apply for them via Student Finance England, and the payment will then be made directly to the College. More information can be found here. You will only start repaying your loan after the course has finished, and your earnings reach £21,000.
When are Advanced Learner Loans available?
Advanced Learner Loans are available for courses at levels 3, 4, 5, and 6. These include Access to HE courses (full and part-time) and A Levels. Loans are not available for individual units or awards, only for full qualifications at the levels already mentioned.
How do I apply for an Advanced Learner Loan?
You can apply either online or via a paper based application to Student Finance England – click here for more details.
What will I have to repay and when?
You won’t start repaying your loan until after you have finished your course and are earning £21,000 or more. Repayments will be automatically deducted from your earnings; starting the April after you finish your course.
Are there any exceptions?
If you take out an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for an Access to Higher Education course, you will have the outstanding amount of your loan written off on completion of your studies.
How much will the Advanced Learner Loans be for?
For all eligible courses the loan will be up to the 100% of the cost of the training, which includes course and material fees.
Do I need to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan for each year I am studying?
No. You will apply for one single loan to cover the whole length of your course.
There is also a national bursary fund available to help vulnerable learners, such as those with learning difficulties or disabilities, parents who need help with childcare, and ex-military personnel. For more information please call our Student Services team on 0116 224 240.