Leicester College Blog

Studying in the UK after Brexit


If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, or the family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living and studying in the UK after 30 June 2021.

You should apply by 31 December 2020 – your rights could change after this date. When you apply, you’ll need proof of:

  • your identity
  • your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK

The deadline is 30 June 2021 if the UK leaves the EU with a deal. However, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal the deadline will be 31 December 2020.

If your application is successful, you’ll get either ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status. Which status you get depends on how long you’ve been living in the UK when you apply. Your rights will be different depending on which status you get.

You’ll usually get ‘settled’ status if you’ve:

  • started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 (or by the date the UK leaves the EU without a deal)
  • lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period (known as ‘continuous residence’)

If you do not have 5 years’ continuous residence when you apply, you’ll usually get ‘pre-settled’ status. You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 (or by the date the UK leaves the EU without a deal).

You can then apply to change this to ‘settled’ status once you’ve got 5 years’ continuous residence.

Getting your status will prove your right to:

  • study
  • stay in the UK for more than 3 months
  • work
  • use the NHS
  • claim the State Pension
  • rent a home

You can only apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you are living in the UK before the UK leaves the EU – currently 31 October 2019.

It is free to apply to the scheme.

It will be important to get your ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status to study or continue study at Leicester College after 30 June 2021.

You do not need to apply if you have:

See the links below for more information and how to apply:

Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status

Citizens Advice: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/staying-in-the-uk-after-brexit/staying-in-the-uk-after-brexit/

UKCISA UK Council for International Student Affairs: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information–Advice/EU-EEA–Swiss-Students/Brexit—EU-Settlement-Scheme

Leicester City Council:



Leicestershire  County Council:


The EU countries are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK*. The EEA includes all EU countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.

*The UK is set to leave the EU on the 31 October 2019.

Sign Up for Updates

Be the first to discover all the latest news, offers, courses and events at Leicester College...