The Peter Roberts Collab Group Bursary is an award for outstanding achievement for a student from a Collab Group College. It consists of a £2,500 bursary x 2 to support students from the end of their college education into self-employment or higher education. This will be one bursary per student.
Honouring Peter Roberts
Peter was an outstanding Principal of Stockport College and the Leeds City College as well as a former Chair of Collab Group. Known throughout the further education sector as a warm, humorous and dedicated professional totally committed to the success of his students. The sector was deeply saddened at his untimely death only weeks after his retirement. As a long-standing partner, The Skills Network wanted to recognise Peter’s unique contribution to the sector and our esteem and affection for our friend and erstwhile colleague by supporting an annual award to a great student who reflects the outstanding work of the sector.
Who might be eligible?
Any student who is undertaking a course of study in a Collab Group college who either:
- has an offer to go to a university or other higher education institute to study for a technical or professional education qualification; or
- is looking to establish their own small business.
An applicant has to clearly demonstrate how they intend to use the bursary in support of their higher education course or in establishing their new business. The bursary cannot be used to fund tuition fees, accommodation or day to day living costs. The bursary could, for example, be used to invest in course materials, equipment and study related costs. If you are moving into self-employment it could be used to support costs related to setting up your new business such as fixtures and fittings, equipment and professional advice.
What level of funding is available?
This is an annual award of £2,500 x 2 for 2 individuals.
How do I apply?
Applications can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org ,using the attached application form, by no later than FRIDAY 29 JUNE 2020. The application must be endorsed by your college and you must provide at least two references from teaching staff at your college.
An applicant will need to demonstrate:
- They have achieved great things in difficult circumstances.
- They have demonstrably progressed, in their time within college, from level 2 to getting a place in higher education, a higher apprenticeship or to be able to go into self-employment.
- They have an offer of a place on a degree course or have advanced plans to establish a business.
- How they intend to use the bursary funds and over what period of time.
- They have the endorsement of the College.
- They have references from at least two teaching staff that shows they are a student with outstanding achievement.
Consideration of applications
Read more on the Collab Group website here.