On March 3 2021 Sarah Everard was kidnapped and murdered, her disappearance sparked a surge of women to share their stories of sexual harassment, and inspire a discussion about the safety of women in our society.
We have a large population of female-presenting staff and students here at Leicester College and we wanted to check in with some of them and begin the discourse within the college.
Check out our live discussion:
Content Warning: Discussion of sexual harassment
With the events of the recent week, we as a college think it is very important to give female Staff and Students the opportunity to discuss their experiences as women, offer support and guidance and ask what we can do to better support our female-presenting students and staff.
If you are a student at Leicester College and are looking for some support you can talk to your tutors, learning coaches or directly to our student support team.
- UAVA helpline supports anyone experiencing or has experienced Domestic Abuse or Sexual Violence. 0808 80 200 28 | The helpline is a freephone number, open Monday – Saturday, 8 am – 8 pm. For out of hours please call the National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247. For text only: 07715 994 962. E-mail: email@example.com
- Victim First a free, independent and confidential service supporting victims and witnesses of crime across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. 0800 9539595
- Zinthiya Trust helps people to improve their financial position and help females experiencing or at risk of abuse. Call 0116254 5168 (Monday to Friday, 9-4.30 pm) or contact our out of hours domestic abuse helpline on 0116 403 3333. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Quetzal provides a range of services to support women recovering from the trauma of childhood sexual abuse. 0333 1014280
- Shama Support from Shama Women’s Centre includes empowerment, camaraderie, peer support, training and upskilling, as well as information, advice and guidance. Call 0116 251 4747
- New Dawn New Day. Delivers a range of services to vulnerable and socially excluded women designed to meet their multiple and complex needs. You can call on 03333 444 304; email at email@example.com
- LGBT centre supports lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. 07395 373519
- National Domestic Abuse Helpline: Freephone 24-Hour helpline. 0808 2000 247
- National Centre for Domestic Violence provides a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic violence. 0844 8044 999
- Karma Nirvana supporting victims of honour-based abuse and forced marriage. 0800 5999 247
- Rights of Women offers legal advice and information to help women understand the law and their legal rights 020 7251 6575