Leicester College has worked closely with schools, home educating families and young people’s organisations to meet the needs of learners aged 14-16 for over 10 years. Our Directions programme is a unique opportunity for Year 10 and 11 learners to gain qualifications in vocational areas, opening up a whole new world of career choices to those who enjoy practical, hands-on learning.
Our provision includes:
- Vocational qualifications, for Year 11 learners (see table below).
- Eight week taster courses for Year 10 learners (see table below).
- Opportunities for learners who need alternative provision, and learners who are on a home education programme to join Level 1 and 2 courses taught across the College.
- Bespoke pathways for those who are facing barriers to learning. This provision will focus on careers, personal development and functional skills.
- Attendance at school careers fairs/open days/options evenings.
- Bespoke tours for groups of school learners, teachers and parents which can be tailored to specific interests and curriculum areas (sometimes these can be arranged at short notice).
- Taster sessions and one day courses for GCSE learners to complement what is being taught in school/home.
- Fun and bespoke staff development days.
- Science Technology Engineering and Maths (STEM) events and days.
- Presentations to assemblies/learner groups on Further Education and Higher Education.
Qualifications for Year 11 students
|City and Guilds Level 1 Certificate Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector||Fridays 10am – 2.30pm||Predicted grade D/E in GCSE English and Maths|
|Level 1/2 Award in Children’s Play, Learning and Development||Fridays 10am – 2.30pm||Predicted grade D in GCSE English and Maths|
|BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Construction||Fridays 10am – 2.30pm||Predicted grade D in GCSE English and Maths|
|Level 1 Certificate in Cookery||Fridays 9.30am – 2.30pm||Predicted grade D in GCSE English and Maths|
|English for Speakers of Other Languages||Fridays 10am – 2.30pm||For all students requiring English Language Support, from Pre Entry onwards|
|Level 1 Certificate in Service and Maintenance Engineering||Fridays 10am – 2.30pm (over 2 years)||Predicted grade D in English and Maths|
Eight week taster courses for students to try out different career options
|Music Technology||Fridays 2pm – 3.30pm||Students must bring their own headphones|
|Cookery||Wednesday 9.30am-11am||Students need an interest in the subject and the ability to adhere to rules regarding uniform|
|Bakery||Thursday 2.00pm-3.30pm||Students need an interest in the subject and the ability to adhere to rules regarding uniform|
|Hair and Beauty||Fridays 2pm – 3.30pm||Students need an interest in the subject and the ability to adhere to rules regarding uniform|
|Childcare||Fridays 2pm – 3.30pm||An interest in the subject|
|English Language Skills||Fridays 2pm – 3.30pm||For all students requiring English Language Support, from Pre Entry onwards|
|Motor Vehicle Body and Paint||Fridays 1.30pm – 3pm||An interest in the subject|
|Mechanical Engineering||Fridays 2pm – 3.30pm||An interest in the subject|
|Electronic Engineering||Fridays 2pm – 3.30pm||An interest in the subject|
|Introduction to Computer Games Development||Wednesday or Friday 1.30-3.00pm starting January 2017||An interest in the subject|
If you would like to know more about our 14-16 Provision, request our presence at an event or work in partnership with Leicester College, please contact the College.
Directions 14-16 Course Guide
Please feel free to download a copy of our Directions 14-16 Guide .
In addition, we offer the following events for schools/organisations which can also be booked through our Open Day Booking Form
- Open Day Leicester College (all campuses) Thursday 10 March 2016, 4 – 8pm