These are some of the most common questions that prospective undergraduate students at Leicester College wanted to ask. So we answered them!

What courses does Leicester College offer?

We currently offer a number of different university-level courses for students from all backgrounds. These include:

  • Higher National Certificates
  • Higher National Diplomas
  • Foundation Degrees
  • BA (Hons) Degrees

And the good news is that many of these qualifications can be topped up to level six (honours degrees) at the College or on one of our partner university courses.

What are the entry requirements?

The entry requirements vary course-by-course and you can find out more by visiting the page of your chosen subject area.

You will need to have achieved a certain number of UCAS points in order to be considered. These can be from:

  • A-Levels and VCE A-Levels
  • AS Levels (as long as you have at least two A-Levels or a 12 unit VCE Double Award for degree courses, and at least one A-Level and one six unit VCE A level for HND courses).
  • BTEC or level three National Certificate/Diploma.
  • BTEC Foundation Studies in Art and Design.

We welcome applications from adult learners who do not match the standard entry requirements, but who can demonstrate commitment to study and evidence of professional or vocational experience.

How much will it cost?

The cost varies depending on your course, but what we can say is that our programmes of learning offer fantastic value for money.

For full-time learners from the UK and EU in 2014/15 tuition fees were set at £6,000 per year, which is significantly less than the £7,500-£9,000 charged by most universities. These fees are subject to change but can be used as a guide for 2015/16.

For part-time learners from the UK and EU in 2014/15 tuition fees ranged from £1,400 to £2,800 per year, which is significantly less than most universities. These fees are subject to change but can be used as a guide for 2015/16.

Can I get any help with funding?

You can apply for help with your fees from the government by visiting This could take the form of a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, Grant or Bursary.

A Tuition Fee Loan will cover the cost of your up-front fees, but then must be repaid once you finished your course and are earning £21,000 a year or more. Both full and part-time learners can apply.

If you are eligible, you can apply for a Maintenance Loan too. This will ensure that fees are paid directly to the College on your behalf. This loan has to be repaid after you leave your course and when your earnings are more than £21,000. For more information please visit

Maintenance Grants on the other hand don’t have to be paid back. These are for full-time learners and can be for an amount up to £3,387. How much you receive will depend on your income and that of your household.

Full-time students can also apply for a Special Support Maintenance Grant if they qualify for Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Housing Benefit.

Is accommodation available?

Learners who apply for a full-time university level course at Leicester College – awarded by De Montfort University – will have access to DMU’s accommodation services.

If you are applying for a course and need support with your accommodation then please don’t hesitate to contact our Student Services team on 0116 224 2240.